Monday, April 25, 2011

An Extraordinary Life

"Where will you be in five years time?"
Is the cry of all with goal setting in mind.

Well...

Africa, Nepal or maybe Peru
Working with those less fortunate than you
Women against who violence is so culturally ingrained
That they can't ask for help, no matter how much pain

India, Uganda or maybe Brazil
Upholding human rights - the struggle's uphill
Giving children a voice, yelling 'EXPLOIT THEM NO MORE!'
As they pick tea and coffee and cocoa galore

Indonesia maybe, Christmas Island as well
Fighting for refugees going through hell
Requiring their governments to uphold the law
And persuading ours we can take many more

Outback Australia, perhaps Kakadu
Learning from those forgotten by us too
Understanding indigenous culture, the lie of the land
So that self-determination and progress might stand

Oh, my personal life?

Africa, Nepal or maybe Peru
With a baby or two
Perhaps
One strapped to my back, one hugging my thigh
Seeing the world through their infant eyes

There's a man there as well
Says he's my husband but I never can tell
Perhaps he's my de facto life partner declared in a Hindu commitment ceremony
Or my soul mate

He walks with me beside me behind me in front of me through it
We are each whole people made stronger by being with the other
He too wants to change the world
He too wants his children to grow up as global citizens
He too wants to grow old knowing he did what he could to better the planet, and not just himself
He too understands the commitment
To an extraordinary life.

No comments: